Popular Posts

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Beeing

Beeing is a charming memoir by Roseanne Daryl Thomas about life, motherhood, and beekeeping. Thomas writes of how, after a 'hideous divorce,' she and her seven year old daughter moved to a small New England town where, on a whim, she took up beekeeping.

Like the ancients before her, Thomas discovers that beekeeping leads to poetry and philosophy -- and  that by assuming responsibility for the tiny world of the hive, the beekeeper becomes more aware of the larger world.
Beeing is not a how to manual -- for information on bees and honey, consult Mr. Google. Or try this link, from which I took these lovely bee pictures.
I found this book incredibly seductive  . . . visions of myself as a beekeeper flitted through my head till reality told me that there is really isn't time in my life for One More Thing.
Still, it's a wonderful read. And the takeaway message fits nicely with my Tuesday FAQ post.

Thomas writes: "The sweetness of life does not come without the occasional nasty sting, but those who go too far out of their way to avoid the venom avoid the sweetness as well. When my life was sweet I had always savored it entirely, enjoying every drop. But when it was painful, I had to learn and relearn what life and beekeeping had to teach. If you want to get honey, you have to be prepared to get stung."

Still on the road -- through snow and sleet and ice yesterday... not too bad but it made for slow traffic and a long day -- will hope to bring you up to date soon. Thanks for the good travel wishes ...

 

Posted by Picasa



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
coompax-digital magazine